Why adaptability is a must
An adaptable company is a successful company.
From meeting new demands to facing industry changes head-on, employees with superstar adaptability skills will ultimately help your company grow.
Adaptable employees will:
- Stay cool under pressure
- Be super innovative and test out new tricks to improve their work
- Be solution-focused
- Welcome new team members and fresh perspectives
These awesome interview questions will help you figure out how candidates deal with:
- Unpredictable conditions (e.g. if someone quits unexpectedly)
- Changing circumstances (e.g. when clients change their minds)
- Supporting coworkers in the face of change (e.g. when policies change)
- Attack new tasks (e.g. if they have to take on new roles)
Adaptability interview questions
- How do you react to change?
- How would you introduce awesome new ideas to coworkers who are attached to traditional systems?
- What are the biggest challenges when you start a new job?
- What would you do if a client's needs change suddenly?
- How do you cope with unexpected short deadlines? How would you balance these with your day to day tasks?
- Think of a time you’ve been promoted or given a new role (lucky you!) and how did you adapt?
- If a new Manager starts bringing in formalities you’re not used to, how do you prepare you and your team?
- How long does it take you to understand how to use new tools? Give us an example.
Candidates to look for
- New hires need to hit the ground running. Candidates who have a fast onboarding record are likely to find superstar status fast.
- Significant career changes are huge. If your candidate is taking the leap, find out what drives them and how confident they are about the change.
- Candidates who consider all possibilities before making a decision are more likely to be super adaptable.
- For senior positions, think: flexible, innovative, change-loving candidates.
- For positions with tons of projects and collaborators, look for unconventional candidates who avoid routine.
Candidates to avoid
- Closed-minded candidates who love what they know and avoid non-traditional solutions.
- Candidates who get scared of the unknown. Fast-paced companies need fearless candidates who aren’t afraid of taking risks and learning new skills.
- Workplace hermits. Adaptability is all about supporting the team.
- Nervous candidates who freak out with change. These guys (or gals) won’t be any good at finding effective solutions to unexpected issues.
- Negative candidates who blame others and find change too hard.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now