Case Manager qualifications to look for
Healthcare Case Management is a cross-disciplinary practice with a variety of specialties. These will include nursing, social work, medicine, workers’ compensation, and mental and behavioral health.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Clinical skills
- A dedication to patient advocacy
Your top hire case manager will also have strong leadership and teamwork skills as they will coordinate care with the patient’s entire care team including physicians, specialists, hospitals, families, payers, community resources and more.
Case Manager interview questions
- What specific interests do you have in case management?
- Tell me about your typical day at work.
- What training or experience do you have that prepares you for this role?
- Describe a time you worked with members of a patient’s care team to achieve success. What was your role?
- How do you communicate complex medical information to the patient in a way that was easy for them to understand?
- What’s required to create the patient’s health care plan?
- How do you handle transitions in a patient’s health care plan?
- How much negotiation do you have to do on a day-to-day basis? Explain why it’s effective.
- What steps do you take to provide necessary information to a patient’s entire care team?
- How do evaluate the care patients received while in the hospital?
- What are the steps you can take to minimize your patient’s time in the hospital?
- How do you demonstrate leadership in this position? What’s the largest team you’ve led?
- Have you helped families arrange long-term care for patients? If so, explain your role.
- Recall a time you had to manage conflicting priorities. What was your process for working things out?
- In what ways have you demonstrated cultural sensitivity? Is there a specific incident you can recall?
- What’s stressful about being a case manager? What do you do to manage this stress?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now