Cosmetologist qualifications to look for
Cosmetologists’ duties range from hairdressing to skincare to nail services in various salon settings. Depending on your location and the size of the company, your top hire may need different levels of education. Typically they have diplomas from vocational schools or training programs.
A junior position should have a solid education and an internship or lower-level position held within a salon facility. It may be a good idea to ask whether they have a portfolio with work they have done so far. Sales experience is also a valid skill.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Strong communication skills
- A friendly disposition
- Sales skills
- A customer service mindset
Cosmetologist interview questions
- What do you find exciting in this job? What gets you out of bed every day to go to work?
- How has your experience/training prepared you to work at our salon?
- What’s your experience in [job specification?]
- Have you worked in a team before? What was your experience?
- What cosmetic products do you use and why? Are there any you refuse to buy?
- Do you provide services for special occasions?
- How much time do you need to do a [service]?
- What questions would you ask to find the right product for a client?
- Describe a time you persuaded a client to buy a product you recommended. What was the outcome? Did they purchase it again?
- How do you decide how to work with a client who’s indecisive?
- If a client isn’t happy with your services and threatens to complain to management how do you respond?
- How do you ensure your workstation is clean? What duties do you have before you end your shift?
- How do you keep current with fashion and beauty trends? What resources do you follow?