IT Manager qualifications to look for
An IT Manager’s primary focus is to supervise, maintain, and improve IT system operations. They also carry out new computer systems following a company’s budget and time limitations.
At this senior-level position, top candidates will have a solid technical background and the drive to manage a team of engineers.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Strong communication skills
- Solid project management skills
- Technical expertise
- A team-leadership mindset
Top tip: Diversity is key to a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Problem-solving interview questions
- Tell me about a time when you implemented significant improvements to an IT infrastructure. What was the outcome?
- What are the most crucial duties of an IT Manager?
- What is your process to gather system and user requirements?
- What do you prioritize when making budget decisions?
- You need to negotiate for new hardware or software. What is your strategy?
- What’s your process for storing confidential data in a secure place?
- What mentorship and guidance do you offer new team members?
- How do you train staff to ensure the effective use of corporate computer systems?
- What are your steps for preparing a cost analysis report for company computer systems?
- How do you research the installation of a new software system? What steps would you follow before deployment?
Role-specific interview questions
- What IT tracking software have you used to monitor remote systems?
- What Information Analysis systems are you comfortable using?
- What do you think are the pros and cons of cloud applications?
- What methods do you find most effective to improve network security?
- A program crashed. What’s your troubleshooting and recovery process?
- Have you created a disaster recovery plan? If so, explain the process.
Behavioral interview questions
- What’s the project you’re most proud of? What was your role and how did you manage to deliver on time?
- How do you present technical details to a non-technical audience?
- How do you handle conflicts between your team members?
- If a member of your team is underperforming, how did you motivate them?
- How do you keep current with technology trends? Do you read specific publications or follow certain resources?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now