Android Developer qualifications to look for
Android Developers design and improve mobile applications in the Android platform. Your top hire will have solid experience and show a strong interest in mobile technology and advanced applications.
Focus on their portfolios and past experience to find the best value-add hires who will implement innovative ideas.
You may want to throw in a project assignment, to test whether your candidates can write functional code and design user-friendly applications.
Keep an eye out for candidates who:
- Follow emerging technology trends
- Regularly invest in continued education
- Demonstrate a desire to learn
- Think creatively
- Focus on business objectives
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What Android frameworks have you used most? What are their key advantages?
- Walk me through security best practices.
- What is your step-by-step process for reviewing an existing application?
- You find a dysfunction in screen reorientation. How do you solve it?
- You think there are memory leaks in Android applications. What do you do to find and fix them?
- An application keeps crashing. What’s your process to troubleshoot this?
- What interfaces would you use to create a user-friendly application?
- Tell me about the Android Developer tools you have experience with. What are your favorite tools?
- Explain the difference between implicit and explicit intent.
- Do you think there are advantages to using Java (Android SDK)? If so, what are they? What other languages are you familiar with?
- Break down the key components in Android architecture.
- How do you change an application’s name after its deployment?
Behavioral interview questions
- What application project are you most proud of? How did it improve your skills?
- Have you collaborated with developers and engineers to debug an application? What was your role?
- What is the biggest application need you see right now for our company right now?
- Have you designed new features to make an application run faster? What was the process?
- How do you stay informed about emerging mobile technology? What resources do you use?
- What’s the last application you installed on your phone and why?