Senior Web Developer qualifications to look for
Senior Web Developers design, code and revamp web pages and online applications. They have a passion for software development and are constantly looking for ways to improve their skills. At a senior-level, they supervise Web Developers and coordinate with internal teams to resolve front-end technical issues.
Your top candidates will have an extensive portfolio and may have a computer science background (though that’s not a make-or-break requirement).
It’s a good idea to test your candidates’ skills to better evaluate how they would handle their role in your company.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- A solid technical background
- Strong communication skills
- A knack for collaboration
- Practical skills
- Strong leadership skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you prototype an idea you want to present to your team?
- How do you gather user and system requirements to redesign a company website?
- How would you improve the functionality of your favorite application?
- How would you handle a difficult request from executives or other teams? What tactics do you use to explain how it’s not feasible. What alternatives do you offer?
- How do you approach a developer on your team who is underperforming?
Role-specific interview questions
- Give me a basic overview of push technology. What are its benefits and drawbacks?
- What are the steps to create a web page from start to finish?
- What user interface and security principles do you use when building a website?
- How do you check code for bugs?
- How is Page Visibility API useful?
Behavioral interview questions
- Have you ever faced conflict on your team? How did you manage it?
- How do you troubleshoot code when a program won’t run?
- How do you handle tight deadlines? What do you do to keep your team motivated and on target?
- What mentorship do you provide to your team to help them improve? Do you conduct on-the-job coaching or encourage them to attend meetups and conferences?
- What resources do you follow to stay current with the latest technology developments?