UI Designer qualifications to look for
A UI designer creates interactive programs that enhance a customer's experience with a brand and facilitate a high-quality, memorable experience on the company’s website.
Your top UI designers will understand coding and be able to relay the brand messaging and mission through the interface of a product. This position usually requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Web Development, Graphic Design or related field.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Excellent communication skills
- A team-playing attitude
- The drive to constantly learn
- An understanding of basic coding
- A wide understanding of how a customer should experience your website
It’s also important to give your top candidates an assignment so you can better gauge how they will work within your organization. Ask great follow up questions so you learn how they work through the design process, make decisions and handle deadlines.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
UI Designer interview questions
- What are you currently working on? Do you like to do side projects?
- Have you studied design? If so, tell us about what and where you’ve studied.
- Tell me about how you get to know the customer’s avatar in relation to the brand.
- What are two of your favorite pieces in your portfolio? Explain your design process for these pieces. What problems were you trying to solve? How did you make a certain design decision?
- Walk me through how to optimize a website’s assets and reduce page load time.
- How do you pivot when a project that doesn’t go as planned?
- Do you have a preferred development environment?
- How do you choose solutions for adding icons to the interface?
- Explain the difference between progressive enhancement and graceful degradation.
- What existing CSS/Sass frameworks have you used locally? How about in production?
- Can you explain BEM or SMACSS? What do you like/don’t like about these conventions?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now