Web Designer qualifications to look for
Web designers are creatives who use their programming and design skills to create, build and improve websites. They are at the forefront of user experience and build websites with ease of use in mind. Their role is to provide both simple and attractive user-friendly design solutions.
Your next hire’s portfolio is your best ally during the interview process. Thoroughly go through their work and ask questions around their creative and analytical processes.
It’s a good idea to put their skills to the test by providing an assignment during the interview process.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- A solid technical background
- Strong communication skills
- A knack for collaboration
- A good eye for detail
- Strong design and usability insight
- Solid understanding of customer experience
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What questions do you ask to ensure you understand the project’s scope and goals of a new project before you begin?
- How would you present your creative ideas to management because you want to change the direction of a project?
- How do you handle pivoting in the middle of an intense project?
Role-specific interview questions
- What’s your favorite portfolio piece? Explain the work you did on it.
- Which of these pieces did you work on with a team? How large was the team, what your timeline, and what role did you play?
- How long did it take to complete [X] piece? What was your planning process to get it started?
- What was your inspiration for [X[ piece? What were some of the steps you took to get it to production?
- What are your favorite visual design tools? Why? What are its limitations?
- Explain how responsive design is different from adaptive design.
- What’s your process to prepare your work for production?
- Talk about one of your most successful design projects. What did you learn from the process?
Behavioral interview questions
- Do you prefer to multi-task or work on one project at a time? How do you manage your time when working on multiple projects?
- How do you overcome a creative block? What resources do you use to keep you inspired?
- How do you manage tight deadlines? How do you stay organized when working under pressure?
- How do you present your ideas to senior management?
- How will you stay motivated when you have to do repetitive tasks?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now