How to ask ace programming questions
Great coders are the holy grail to most tech companies.
Use coding skills interview questions to find the best fit for your company.
Here’s some top tips:
- For junior positions: Ask basic coding interview questions and test theoretical knowledge.
- For senior engineering roles: Test them via written assignment, to find out how they approach specific coding projects.
- Focus on specific technical know-how: Think about what you actually need, rather than overwhelming your candidate. For example, what languages do you want to test for?
- For all engineering positions: Your best candidate = Computer Science academic background + IT work experience.
General programming interview questions
- Describe how you write a piece of code from requirements to delivery.
- What are your top tools to test code quality?
- How can you debug a program while it’s being used?
- What programming language beats the rest and why? How would you improve it?
- What’s your focus when looking at somebody else’s code?
- Who are your tech-news favorites?
Java coding interview questions
- What’s the difference between Runtime exceptions and Checked exceptions?
- Why use an object Factory and how would you implement the Singleton pattern?
- Can you run “A extends B, C” in Java?
- What is the difference between String, StringBuilder and StringBuffer in Java?
Ruby coding interview questions
- What is load and require in Ruby?
- What are these and how and when should they be used: ==, ===, eql?, equal?
- What is a module? What’s the difference between classes and modules?
- What are your all-time favorite gems?
Python coding interview questions
- Why are functions considered first class objects in Python?
- What are circular dependencies in Python and how do you avoid them?
- Give an example of filter and reduce over an iterable object.
- What are the uses/advantage of a generator?
.NET coding interview questions
- What is the WebSecurity class in .NET? What’s it used for?
- In .NET, attributes are used for associating declarative information with C# code. In what way are they used? Describe a proper use case.
- How can I pass configuration variables to ASP.NET apps like a pro?
- In .NET can you extend a class (any class) with some extra methods? If yes, how?
PHP coding interview questions
- How do you generate random numbers in PHP?
- What’s the difference between the include() and require() functions?
- How do you develop and integrate plugins for PHP frameworks, like Laravel and Yii?
- How can you get web browser’s details using PHP?
HTML/CSS coding interview questions
- What’s the difference between inline elements and block elements?
- Why should you position CSS <link>s between <head></head> and JS <script>s just before </body>? Do you know any exceptions?
- How does padding and margin differ?
- How is responsive design different from adaptive design?
JQuery interview questions
- How do you delete cookies in JQuery?
- What are the basic JQuery selectors and how do you use them?
- What is the difference between jquery.size() and jquery.length?
- Why is JQuery so awesome?
- Explain the different types of variables.
- How would you clone an object?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now