Why strategic-thinking interview questions are important
Strategic-thinking is the ability to make informed business decisions through analysis. Strategic thinkers take a company’s vision and transform it into action.
Your ideal strategic-thinking candidate can:
- Ace long-term objectives
- Catch potential risks and plan ahead
- Use resources efficiently
- Develop action plans no matter what
- Deal with competition like a pro
Strategic-thinking interview questions
- How much time do you put aside for strategic-planning? What does that time look like?
- How do you communicate your strategic decisions?
- Have you ever proactively identified and addressed an issue at your company? What happened?
- How do you set, check and review long-term team goals?
- Describe a time when your approach didn’t work. What happened?
- How do you build an awesome action plan?
- How do you measure how awesome your strategies are?
Candidates to look for
- Analytical thinkers: Look for a candidate who compares alternatives and weighs pros and cons.
- Methodical thinkers: Your ideal candidate will be methodical and assess alternatives and potential risks.
- They can identify mistakes: Delve into past projects that failed and ask them to evaluate it.
- They understand your needs: Use hypothetical scenarios related to the role to test if they understand your needs and objectives.
Candidates to avoid
- Bad decision-makers: Candidates who lack confidence and seem nervous about decision-making are a no-no.
- They’re poor leaders: Setting challenging objectives and motivating teams are key to an awesome candidate, so avoid candidates who aren’t confident delegating and can’t engage a team.
- They’re reckless: Generic, detail-free answers probably won’t be able to think strategically at tricky times.
- They’re change avoiders: Flexibility is a must when it comes to strategies. Candidates who aren’t great at change management probably won’t be any good at re-evaluating strategies.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now