Construction Manager Interview Questions
Construction managers coordinate and supervise a wide variety of building projects for public, residential, commercial, and industrial structures. They may also oversee projects for roads, memorials, and bridges.
They manage specialized contractors and other personnel, scheduling and coordinating all construction processes so that projects meet design specifications. They ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget.
Your top Construction Managers may have a university degree in a field like civil engineering or architecture, but more importantly, possess a deep understanding of the industry.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Solid communication skills
- The ability to stay within budget
- Strong team-player mentality
- Skills specific to your project needs
- Strong negotiation skills
- The ability to travel and be out in the field
- Time-management skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What if a worker disregarded your instructions for their part of the project. How would you respond?
- You realize there’s a conflict between an in-house engineer and an independent subcontractor. How would you resolve it?
- How do you address a subcontractor trying to change the terms of their contract in order to raise their compensation?
- How do you handle a project that starts to fall behind schedule and exceed budget?
- How do you handle workers who are not using the necessary safety equipment?
Role-specific interview questions
- What’s your planning and hiring process for a new construction project?
- What do you consider a job well done and project completed? What do you look for in quality control?
- How do you prioritize the necessary tasks of a project? What do you plan ahead of time to stay on schedule as much as possible?
- What goes into planning a construction project?
- What do you consider before negotiating contracts or rates?
- What documentation do you need to begin a construction project? How would you obtain it?
- What project management tools do you prefer and why?
Behavioral interview questions
- Go through the process of a project you planned. Include details about budgets, processes, and deadlines. What actions did you take to receive approval? What was the result?
- Do you typically manage two or more projects simultaneously? How did you succeed?
- How do you negotiate the budget for a construction project? What do you take into consideration?
- Describe your approach to leadership. How do you mentor new hires?
- Describe the most successful construction project you have directed. Why do you think it was a success? What did you learn?
- What’s typically the biggest obstacle you encounter during a project? How do you resolve the issue?