Electrician qualifications to look for
Electricians fulfill many duties involving electrical systems. Inside electricians maintain and repair large motors, equipment, and control systems in businesses and factories. Residential electricians install wiring and troubleshoot electrical problems in peoples’ homes. T
Your top electricians will have theoretical knowledge plus solid hands-on experience. Electricians have three levels of skill:
- Journeyman electrician
- Master electrician
Apprentices should be eager to learn and motivated to follow strict instructions. Master electricians also need leadership skills and knowledge of regulations and processes.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Solid communication skills
- The ability to stay within budget
- Strong team-player mentality
- Skills specific to your project needs
- Strong negotiation skills
- The ability to travel and be out in the field
- Great time-management skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What’s the beginning process for installing a new system on an entire floor of a building?
- How do you handle difficult situations at work?
- What’s the process to prevent high-voltage electrical systems from breaking down?
- Explain how to properly ground an outlet.
- How do you troubleshoot a blackout?
- What’s the procedure if a coworker gets an electric shock?
Role-specific interview questions
- What did you find most challenging during your apprenticeship? How did you work to resolve these challenges?
- Describe your experience in [industry] setting.
- What’s your experience troubleshooting a PLC? Can you walk me through the process?
- What PPE (personal protective equipment) do you think is important for an electrician?
- Why is overlamping dangerous? How do you avoid it?
- Explain why you would use 14/3 instead of 14/2 wires.
- Why would you use a multimeter? What’s the process for using it?
- Are you familiar with the NEC (National Electrical Code)? Can you explain it?
Behavioral interview questions
- Tell me about the most challenging task you had to perform as an apprentice. How did you overcome it?
- How does customer service come into play as an electrician?
- What do you do if you need clarification on instructions?
- How do you keep apprentices motivated? Can you give me a specific instance?
- Have you ever made a mistake on the job? Describe what happened and how you responded.