Why critical-thinking skills are awesome
Critical-thinkers evaluate situations with their stellar reasoning skills to reach logical decisions. As an employer, you want critical-thinkers because their independent mindsets are always seeking ways to improve processes.
Critical-thinkers are responsible, consistent, unbiased and creative. 😍
Top tip: Critical-thinking candidates will be best at answering realistic questions related to the job. Avoid Google-style brainteasers and stick to real-life situations like “How would you explain this software to someone who’s never used it before?”
Critical-thinking interview questions
- Have you ever had to make a decision with incomplete info? Tell us about it.
- How would you handle someone else’s mistake if it impacted your work?
- Pretend I’m your manager and convince me to try a new approach to a task.
- How would you steer a team who aren’t agreeing on a project?
- What would work better in sales: increase cost to achieve higher income or lower cost to make your customers happy?
Candidates to look for
- Analytical thinkers: Look for a candidate who compares alternatives and weighs pros and cons.
- Balanced approach: Employees don’t always have detailed action plans. Look for candidates who strike a balance between good vs fast decisions.
- Innovative candidates: Look for candidates who are advocates for change and open to new procedures.
- Problem-solvers: Candidates who show enthusiasm and see a problem out are the ones to look for.
Candidates to avoid
- They don’t care about data: You want a candidate who backs their solutions up with fact. Otherwise how do they know it will work?
- Lack logic: Candidates who lack logic and make rash assumptions tend to jump in too fast.
- Low initiative: If you ask a question and they don’t answer, it shows they aren’t natural problem-solvers. Look for candidates who at least try, even asking for help is better than nothing.
- They don’t think outside the box: No one appreciates an obvious answer. Avoid candidates who go straight to the first answer they think of.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now