IT Auditor qualifications to look for
An IT Auditor’s major role is to provide high-quality IT systems that are functional, secure and efficient.
They identify weaknesses and potential threats in a company’s networking hardware and software by testing internal controls.
Top candidates will have a solid knowledge of IT infrastructure, and likely hold a degree in Computer Science with relevant work experience.
Your best candidates may set themselves apart by obtaining a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) certification.
It may be worth your while to test candidates’ familiarity with the systems, platforms, and frameworks you use. Successful candidates will identify system malfunctions while suggesting improvements in capability, user interface and security.
Keep an eye out for candidates who:
- Explain technical issues in simple terms
- Thrive in environments where they solve issues
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- We need to ensure employees properly use technological resources. What policies do you implement and how do you follow up with them?
- How do you protect an internal network from external threats?
- How do you handle a system crash after a change you implemented?
- You spotted a minor bug in an application. What’s your next step? How do you get it resolved?
- A number of security risks threaten a high-profile client’s network. Upon your discovery, you know the CTO will not take the news well. This may result in contract termination. How do you report the results of your audit?
Role-specific interview questions
- What’s a common software problem you see come up often? How do you resolve it?
- Can you explain server virtualization?
- Explain network encryption and its purpose.
- Tell us about any experience you have using tools like VMware or VirtualBox.
- What do you think are the biggest flaws of cloud applications?
- What kinds of internal systems do you audit often? Why?
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you handle stress when you are required to audit various IT systems on tight deadlines?
- How do you explain technical details to a non-technical audience? Do you prefer to write a manual or deliver a presentation?
- Have you helped improve a system’s efficiency in your current or previous position? Explain.
- What resources and publications do you follow to keep current with engineering trends?