Scrum Master qualifications to look for
Scrum Masters coordinate software development projects, coaching team members to apply the Scrum framework throughout each project.
They take charge of project timelines and facilitate effective problem-solving.
Your top candidate will have a degree in Computer Science or a similar field, and a Scrum Master certification or proven expertise in scrum techniques and artifacts.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Team players
- Solid organizers
- Strong leaders
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- Describe a problem/risk you identified early on. What steps did you take to resolve the problem?
- Give an example of a time you removed a bottleneck in your company. What were the results? How did it help you move forward?
- Explain the pros and cons of the daily stand-up.
- When should you use Waterfall or Kanban over Scrum? Explain why.
Role-specific interview questions
- What were your main responsibilities as a Scrum Master in your previous job? How did you support your team?
- What is your experience in writing reports for your scrum projects? Do you feel confident in this role?
- Have you managed more than one team at a time? What was your strategy? How did you stay on track with deadlines?
- How do you give feedback to your teammates? How do you help a team member who is falling behind?
- What agile frameworks are you familiar with? What are your favorite features? Do they have any limitations?
- Describe the metrics you use to track the progress of a sprint.
- On average, how long were the sprints under your supervision? Was there a time when you felt you weren’t up to speed? How did you get back on track?
Behavioral interview questions
- Describe the biggest challenge you have faced as a Scrum Master. How did you overcome it? How did it make you better at your job?
- How would you motivate your team members during high-stress times?
- What would you do to integrate a new team member? Do you have systems in place so they can get acclimated right away?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now