Network Engineer qualifications to look for
Network Engineers design, execute and manage the network infrastructure within your organization. They watch over network systems operations to ensure everything runs smoothly and securely.
Your top hire will have a solid technical background and excellent troubleshooting skills.
Keep an eye out for candidates who can:
- Minimize malfunctions
- Provide solutions in on time
- Demonstrate an interest in industry trends
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What actions do you initiate to protect an internal network from external threats?
- How do you troubleshoot a website that isn’t loading?
- Walk me through how to connect two computers for file sharing without using a hub or router.
Role-specific interview questions
- What are your thoughts on private IP addresses? What situations do you recommend them for?
- What’s a typical software problem that may lead to network defects? How do you resolve it?
- Why would you use encryption on a network?
- Describe the networking protocols you are most familiar with.
- Explain the layers of the OSI reference model.
- Explain proxy servers and how they protect computer networks.
Behavioral interview questions
- What’s your process for preparing a technical presentation or document for a non-technical audience?
- How do you stay current with engineering trends?
- What’s your proudest engineering project to date? What role did you play?