Nutritionist qualifications to look for
A Nutritionist is a Registered Dietician (RD) who works in a variety of settings to educate patients about specific nutritional requirements for their medical conditions.
Your top candidates will hold a four-year degree from an accredited RD program with a relevant internship. RDs are also required to complete regular training to stay updated on industry knowledge and maintain their credentials.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Strong communicators
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Nutritionist interview questions
- As a nutritionist, what is your role with emotional support for your patients?
- What makes you a good teacher and role model?
- Are you interested in working with a specific population?
- Describe your experience with prenatal nutrition. What are the important considerations to make when working with this population?
- Do you have experience with home care? Please explain.
- Have you worked with social workers? Please describe.
- How often do you work with physicians? What’s the best way to keep them informed about their patient’s care with you?
- Do you prefer advising individuals, or groups? Why?
- How would you advise a client to keep a food diary? How do you motivate them to keep up with it?
- Recall a time you resolved a problem with a non-compliant patient. How did you handle it?
- What kind of diet would you prescribe to a patient who was trying to lose weight? What steps do you take to ease them into dietary changes?
- What kind of diet would you prescribe for a patient who was trying to gain weight? How do you keep them on track?
- What dietary recommendations are important for geriatric populations? What are the important considerations to make when working with this population?
- What dietary recommendations are important for vegetarians? Do you recommend supplementing with this type of diet? Explain.
- Explain the difference between working with a Type 1 and Type 2 diabetic.
- How would you put together a diet for a 30-something male recently diagnosed with AIDS? What are some considerations you make? How do you advise him if he has no appetite?