Home Health Aide qualifications to look for
Most Home Health Aides provide both medical care and personal care to patients in the privacy of their own homes. It’s important for the patient to meet with the care provider during the interview
Each patient may require different care, so ask candidates what they are and are not willing to do for their job. Education isn’t necessary as on-the-job training is provided, though some jobs may require certificates.
Every considered candidate should have proper CPR and first aid training.
💪This job requires physical demands like lifting and moving patients.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Good hygiene
- Strong communication skills
- Good people skills
- Commitment to advocacy
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Home Health Aide interview questions
- What specialties or interests do you have in this field?
- Why have you chosen this profession?
- Describe your experience with elderly patients. Is there one that particularly stands out to you?
- How much experience do you have with medical care? How about personal care?
- Talk about a typical day at your previous workplace. What were your duties?
- How do you move a patient from their wheelchair into a bed?
- How do you keep your patient’s family informed about their progress? What do you do when something concerning happens?
- How do you handle medical emergencies? Do you have a process in place?
- What do you do if your replacement is late?
- How do you maintain the privacy and dignity of your patients? Why is this so important?
- In what ways have you advocated for the wellbeing of your patients? Give specific examples.
- Describe a time when one of your patients refused care. How did you calm them and reassure them?
- When have you resolved a conflict with your patient’s family? What was the problem and outcome?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now