Paramedic qualifications to look for
Paramedics respond to emergency medical calls, providing on-site care and transporting patients safely to medical facilities. They assess a patient's condition and implement first-aid procedures. They also maintain equipment, file reports and transport patients between hospitals.
Your top candidates will have an EMT certification, completion of a paramedic training course, at least six months of experience working as an EMT, and passing the NREMT (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians) exam. Paramedics can be EMTs, flight medics, and firefighter medics.
💪This job requires physical demands like lifting and moving patients.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Strong communicators
- Calm under pressure
- High energy
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Paramedic interview questions
- What draws you to this profession?
- Describe the most challenging call you ever received as a paramedic. What was the incident and how did you respond?
- How do you handle multi-agency calls?
- What kinds of environments have you worked in as a paramedic? Is there any environment you aren’t comfortable with?
- What life support medications do you usually have with you?
- Have you ever responded to a crime scene as a paramedic? Describe what happened.
- Describe a time you had to maintain professionalism in a tough situation
- Describe a time you did the right thing even when you felt conflicted.
- How do you manage stressful situations?
- How do you handle moving a heavy patient from a dangerous situation?
- Describe the process of administering medication through an IV. What would you do differently if the patient was a child?
- How do you stabilize broken bones?
- How do you respond to a drug overdose call?
- How do you respond to burn victim calls?
- How do you stabilize a hypothermic patient?
- How would you handle an epileptic seizure? What is critical when handling these patients?
- How do you keep your skills as a paramedic fresh?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now