Patient Care Technician qualifications to look for
Patient care technicians (PCT) perform basic nursing tasks while assisting patients with basic needs. They are found in hospitals or healthcare facilities, and their duties may differ in each department.
Your top candidates will be graduates from accredited training programs relevant to the position (e.g. dialysis) and certified in CPR.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Calm under pressure
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What are the vital signs? How do you take them and chart them?
- How often should you monitor vital signs? How would you know if there’s something wrong? How do you respond if something is wrong?
- What tools and equipment should a PCT know how to use? Walk me through how each piece of equipment is operated.
- The PCT’s work is often demanding. How do you stay motivated and calm under pressure?
- How would you go about performing an EKG test? Walk me through it.
- What’s your experience preparing patients for surgery? Walk me through the process.
- Have you used any software as part of your job? Explain.
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in the past as PCT? How did it help you as a professional?
- Are you trained in phlebotomy/dialysis? If so, is this something that interested you?
Behavioral interview questions
- Recall a time when you had to take care of a difficult patient. How did you stay calm?
- Tell me about a time you discovered someone not following safety rules. What did you do?
- What do you do if you receive orders from a supervisor that you don't agree with?
- Give me an example of a time you educated a patient in a health or safety matter. How did you explain why it was important and make sure they understood?
- What do you do if your patient’s condition suddenly took a turn for the worse?
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you care for different age groups? What are some key differences?
- If a PCT of the next shift called in sick when you’re about to leave, how do you respond?
- How do you respond to a rude and uncooperative patient?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now