Pharmacy Technician qualifications to look for
Pharmacy technicians undertake diverse tasks to support pharmacy operations in both hospitals and retail stores. They handle prescriptions orders, work with health professionals and customers, help mix medicines, count pills, measure medication, and also assist customers with payments.
Your top pharmacy technicians will have a postsecondary degree or on-the-job training. This is a fast-paced environment, so you need candidates who work well with little supervision, are quick learners, and have solid experience.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location and job description.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Critical thinkers
- Strong communicators
- Good with people
- Able to keep calm under pressure
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What are a pharmacy technician’s duties before the pharmacy opens? How about when you close?
- What challenges do you face as a pharmacy technician? How do you manage stress?
- What does excellent customer service mean for a pharmacy technician? Why is this a critical part of your job?
- Explain what prn/NR/(other sig codes) mean.
- Do you have experience with online prescription systems? What other pharmacy software have you used? How comfortable are you using it?
- How do you keep current with new medications and pharmacy practices?
- How do you go about verifying whether a prescription is valid? What do you look for?
Behavioral interview questions
- Have you ever disagreed with a pharmacist’s instructions? How did you handle it?
- How do you stay motivated when performing routine tasks? How do you stay calm under pressure?
- Did you ever have to face a customer who didn’t speak the language well? What steps did you take to ensure they understood their medication?
- Recall a time when a coworker was falling behind. How did you handle it?
Problem-solving interview questions
- Walk me through the process of filling a prescription from start to finish.
- How do you handle a customer who wants you to refill a prescription before the appropriate period has passed and they get angry that you refuse the service?
- What do you do if you suspect a customer is a drug seeker? What is the standard procedure?
- How do you deal with a rejected insurance claim? What are the necessary steps to communicate with the patient and doctor?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now