Programming Interview Questions: Find your ideal programmer
These questions will help you find the perfect candidate for your programming role.
Look for candidates with theoretical and practical knowledge of specific programming languages and software.
Your ideal candidate will be a knowledgeable team player with great collaboration skills plus be an ace at meeting deadlines. They’ll also be up-to-date on all the latest tech and be keen to broaden their knowledge.
Top tip: Include a written task during your process to check in on candidates’ coding skills.
For junior programmers
- What are your favorite programming languages?
- Abstract class v interface: What’s the difference and when would you use them?
- How would you troubleshoot for a crashing program?
- How can you debug a program while it’s in use?
- Describe the programming processes journey from when you type in a website’s URL to when it finishes loading.
- Web environment vs. Windows environment: What are the limitations?
- What are their pros and cons of cloud systems?
- What area are you pro in and where do you want to learn more?
For senior programmers
- Tell us about a time you’ve aced improvements to an IT infrastructure?
- How would you install a new software system?
- How do you best gather user and system requirements?
- How’s your layman speak? Have you ever had to share with a non-tech audience? How did it go?
- How would you support a new team member?
- Describe your most challenging project ever. What was your role and how did you ace the deadlines?