Travel Agent Interview Questions
Travel Agents meet with clients to plan trips within their budget and timeline. They advise clients about suitable travel options in accordance with their needs. They also plan trips to domestic or international destinations, tours, accommodation, transport, insurance, and fares.
Your top hire may not have experience in the industry but should have solid sales experience and the ability to learn your business quickly. Most travel agents will have a high school diploma or equivalent, and it’s always a bonus if your next hire is bilingual.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Team players
- Customer-forward thinkers
- Attentive to details
- Able to creatively find resources and stay within a budget
- Talkative and have strong sales skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Travel Agent interview questions
- What made you decide to become a travel agent?
- How has your work experience prepared you for this position? What skills do you feel are critical to this role?
- Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for your customers.
- How do you feel about working in sales? What experience do you have in sales?
- What steps have you taken in your past positions to meet your sales goals?
- Do you have experience booking different types of travel needs such as airfare, hotels, cars, or cruises?
- Rank your air travel, hotel, and car bookings by volume. How many customers do you typically work with?
- What GDS systems have you used before? Explain your knowledge of this system.
- How do you find the lowest fees for your client? Are low fees always your best indicators for quality travel?
- You’re on the phone with an angry customer. What steps do you take to assist them?
- How do you handle walk-in clients?
- How do you find packages within your client’s budget?
- Describe your approach to planning a complex itinerary. What details do you need to include?