Web Developer qualifications to look for
Web developers design, code and revamp web pages and online applications. They have a passion for software development and are constantly looking for ways to improve their skills.
Your top candidates will have an extensive portfolio and may have a computer science background (though that’s not a make-or-break requirement).
It’s a good idea to test your candidates’ skills to better evaluate how they would handle their role in your company.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- A solid technical background
- Strong communication skills
- A knack for collaboration
- Practical skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What is your workflow when you create a web page from a blank canvas?
- What features would you like to see added to your favorite programming language?
- What’s the best way to decrease page load times?
- What user interface and security principles do you consider when working on the design?
- Tell men how to mobile-specific layouts/CSS. Give an example of when you’ve done this.
- Have you designed a single page app? What was the process?
- How do you create SEO-friendly web pages?
- Explain ‘MIME type’ and provide an example.
- What’s the difference between HTML and XHTML? When would you use either?
- Why should you position CSS <link>s between <head></head> and JS <script>s just before </body>? Do you know any exceptions?</script>
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you troubleshoot code when a page won’t run?
- What are you currently learning?
- Are you working on any side projects? If so, what are they?
- What resources do you follow to stay current with the latest technology developments?