Web Developer qualifications to look for
Web developers design, code and revamp web pages and online applications. They have a passion for software development and are constantly looking for ways to improve their skills.
Your top candidates will have an extensive portfolio and may have a computer science background (though that’s not a make-or-break requirement).
It’s a good idea to test your candidates’ skills to better evaluate how they would handle their role in your company.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- A solid technical background
- Strong communication skills
- A knack for collaboration
- Practical skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What is your workflow when you create a web page from a blank canvas?
- What features would you like to see added to your favorite programming language?
- What’s the best way to decrease page load times?
- What user interface and security principles do you consider when working on the design?
- Tell men how to mobile-specific layouts/CSS. Give an example of when you’ve done this.
- Have you designed a single page app? What was the process?
- How do you create SEO-friendly web pages?
- Explain ‘MIME type’ and provide an example.
- What’s the difference between HTML and XHTML? When would you use either?
- Why should you position CSS <link>s between <head></head> and JS <script>s just before </body>? Do you know any exceptions?</script>
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you troubleshoot code when a page won’t run?
- What are you currently learning?
- Are you working on any side projects? If so, what are they?
- What resources do you follow to stay current with the latest technology developments?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now