These emails work best in the beginning of your recruiting process before managers begin interviewing candidates. These frequent email updates help:
- Make the hiring process transparent
- Keep an open line of communication between recruiters and hiring managers
- Prepare hiring managers for the interviews
These emails tell hiring managers that recruiters:
- Number of applications received and pre-screened
- Number of phone-screening calls scheduled
- Number of candidates advanced to the interview phase
- Number of candidates rejected
Keep this email brief with quick bullets of information so that hiring managers know what’s going on without spending a lot of time catching up. Rather than throw a wall of text at them, use a concise bulleted list to help them see the results you’re getting at each stage of the hiring process. You can also attach relevant files such as your interview notes, candidate resumes, test/assignment results, etc. to help give the hiring manager more context.
This email example refers to the phone-screening phase. Tweak this template for other hiring stages.
Hiring update sample email: Recruiter to hiring manager
Subject line: Quick ppdate on [Job_title] position / Status of [Job_title] position
Hi [Hiring Manager’s_name],
Here’s a quick recap on where we stand with the [Job_title] role:
- Number of phone screening calls conducted: [e.g. 6]
- Number of applicants we advanced to the assignment phase: [e.g. 2]
- Number of phone screening calls scheduled for next week: [e.g. 5]
- Deadline for assignment submission: [e.g. 6/20/2017]
Also some notes on the qualified candidates:
- [Candidate1_name]: Doesn’t have relevant experience, but has researched our company and is genuinely interested in the role. We had a very pleasant discussion and I would like to see the assignment results.
- [Candidate2_name]: Has two years of work experience in a similar role and knows a lot about the industry. The tone of our discussion was formal.
I’ve also created a more detailed review for you (see attachment) [attach file to email.]
Please let me know if you have any questions. We can schedule a quick [e.g. call or meeting] to follow up.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.