Finding qualified sales candidates is one thing. Convincing them to consider your company is a whole different challenge.
It’s a good idea to personalize the email so candidates know how you found them and what qualities stood out to you.
Here are some things to consider:
- If you met the candidate at a conference/event, highlight what you enjoyed about the conversation.
- If you have previously interviewed them (even for a different role), explain what stood out and why they’re a great match for a sales position.
- Mention one to two professional accomplishments that impressed you.
For European candidates, please refer to guidance on using social media for recruiting and collecting candidate information as per the General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR.
Offer potential candidates one compelling reason why it’s worth giving your company a shot. Are you opening an exciting new store? Do you offer special benefits to your sales team?
Remember to provide relevant information (your name, your company and contact details) and a clear call to action. And if this is an EU candidate, make sure to include a link to your privacy notice as the GDPR requires.
Example of a cold recruiting email to sales candidates:
Subject line: [Company_name] is looking for a [job_title] / Interested in joining our team at [Company_name]?
My name is [your name], [your job_title] at [Company_name].
- I saw your profile on [list site] and your [add specific skill or experience.] really stood out to me. I was particularly excited about [add specific project or achievement]. We are currently looking for a [job_title – add link to the job description] to join our team/ to manage [add sales specific project.] I’d love to tell you more about this position and learn more about your career goals.
- Your interest in [e.g. Public Speaking and Sales] [meetings/events/seminars.] really caught my eye on [list social media site]. We are always looking for people who can represent our brand with confidence. Right now we are building out our sales team, and have an opening for [job_title – add link to the job description.] I’d love to tell you a little more about this position and get to know your career goals, too.
- We met [time frame], when you applied for the [Job_title] position. Even though we decided to move on with a different candidate at that time, your profile really stood out. We’ve kept you in mind for future openings, and we feel you’d be a good fit for our [job_title – add link to the job description.] I’d love to learn about what you’ve been up to since we last met and tell you a little bit more about this position.
- I saw your profile [e.g. on Twitter or Quora] and I was really impressed by the way you handled [e.g. customers or people.] We are always looking to build strong relationships with our customers, and think you have a lot to offer. Right now, we are growing our team and have an opening for [job_title – add link to the job description]. I’d love to tell you a little more about this position and learn about your career goals, too.
Are you available [include date and time or a period of time, e.g. ‘sometime this week’]? If so, I’d be happy to set up a call.