Accounting Clerk qualifications to look for
Accounting Clerks are administrative whizzes who support the accounting department by performing a variety of tasks.
Tasks vary depending on the company, but they often include:
- Reconciling bank statements
- Maintaining accounting databases
- Keeping accurate document records
A well-qualified candidate will have all the right certifications to bolster their bookkeeping duties, though they may not have a ton of experience since this is an entry-level gig.
Your top accounting clerks will be detail-oriented and thrive in an organized work environment.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Analytical thinkers
- Big on ways to improve procedures
- Motivated even when things get repetitive
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- As an Accounting Clerk, what do you feel are your biggest responsibilities?
- How would you define the Accounting department’s role in a company?
- Are you familiar with any accounting software?
- What Excel projects have you worked on?
- Have you designed a spreadsheet to keep track of accounts payable? If so, what was your process?
- Accuracy is important in this role. How do you double-check your work?
- If we needed you to improve the invoice keeping process, how would you go about it?
- What do you identify as confidential information and how do you secure it?
- How familiar are you with SFAS (Statement of Financial Accounting Standards)?
Behavioral interview questions
- Give an example of a goal you had in your previous position. What did you do to reach it?
- Describe a situation where you had multiple deadlines. How did you handle them?
- Have you ever implemented a change to speed up an accounting process?
- What would you like to learn more about?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now