Financial Specialist qualifications to look for
Financial Specialists are big decision-makers when it comes to your company’s strategic investments. They prepare and review all cost analyses, prepare budget reports and evaluate current accounting trends.
Your top candidates will have a degree in Finance or Economics and relevant work experience in a senior-level role. An additional certification (e.g. CPA or CFA) and knowledge of statistical analysis software is a plus.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Excellent communicators
- Analytical thinkers
- Methodical with follow-up
- Logical decision-makers
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you collect and present data when conducting a benchmark analysis?
- When preparing a presentation for investors, what metrics would you use to describe the company’s financial health?
- How would you advise the CEO when planning to make an investment, such as expanding our operations or opening a new location?
- Our company is thinking about taking on a new loan. What factors would you take into consideration before advising on whether or not we should do this?
- You found a mistake in a report you prepared but your manager hasn’t noticed it. What steps do you take to fix it?
Role-specific interview questions
- What is your budgeting process step-by-step?
- What financial and statistical analysis software have you used? What are your favorite features?
- Tell me about the reports you prepare and monitor on a regular basis. How do you use this information?
- What financial model have you used to help build an annual forecasting report?
- What formula do you use to calculate an Internal Rate of Return (IRR) on an investment? How do you assess whether it’s good or not?
- How does an increase in debt affect the Weighted Average Cost Of Capital (WACC)?
Behavioral interview questions
- Describe a time when you managed and monitored a challenging financial task, e.g. tax audits.
- Attention to detail is crucial in this position. When has your attention to detail saved you from making a mistake at work?
- What resources do you use to keep current with global economic issues?
- What are the biggest challenges that our industry will face in the next few years?
- What’s your leadership style? How do you support your team members?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now