Accounting Supervisor qualifications to look for
Accounting Supervisors are the watchful eye you need to oversee financial procedures, including:
- Accounts payable/receivable
- Bank reconciliations
- Tax audits
Plus, they take charge of your accounting team to ensure the accounting department runs smoothly.
The best candidates have an Accounting or Finance degree and a certification like CMA or CPA. Additionally, they will have experience in senior-level roles with proven financial transactions and accounting software skills.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Capable of handling large amounts of numerical data
- Able to motivate and evaluate team members
You may also want to include an assignment to assess spreadsheet management and report creation.
Top tip: Diversity is key to a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Problem-solving interview questions
- You’ve discovered an invoice discrepancy. What’s your step-by-step process to fix it?
- Tell me about the goals you would set for your team during your first year. How would you measure and evaluate progress?
- You found a mistake in a report you prepared. Your manager hasn’t noticed. What do you do?
- How would you train a Junior Account on more advanced financial topics?
Role-specific interview questions
- What accounting software are you familiar with?
- What’s your process for reviewing a report for numerical errors?
- How do you step up to serve during regular tax audits?
- It’s time to prepare a department’s annual budget. What financial data and metrics do you use?
- The year-end closing is near. What reports and invoices do you gather and manage to support the accounting department?
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you stay up-to-date with changes in accounting legislation?
- Attention to detail is important in your role. When have you used it to save you from making a mistake?
- What’s the most challenging financial project you’ve managed so far? What were some things you had to overcome in order to achieve high-level results?
- What team management techniques did you use and how do you keep your team motivated?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now