Accounting Supervisor qualifications to look for
Accounting Supervisors are the watchful eye you need to oversee financial procedures, including:
- Accounts payable/receivable
- Bank reconciliations
- Tax audits
Plus, they take charge of your accounting team to ensure the accounting department runs smoothly.
The best candidates have an Accounting or Finance degree and a certification like CMA or CPA. Additionally, they will have experience in senior-level roles with proven financial transactions and accounting software skills.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Capable of handling large amounts of numerical data
- Able to motivate and evaluate team members
You may also want to include an assignment to assess spreadsheet management and report creation.
Top tip: Diversity is key to a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Problem-solving interview questions
- You’ve discovered an invoice discrepancy. What’s your step-by-step process to fix it?
- Tell me about the goals you would set for your team during your first year. How would you measure and evaluate progress?
- You found a mistake in a report you prepared. Your manager hasn’t noticed. What do you do?
- How would you train a Junior Account on more advanced financial topics?
Role-specific interview questions
- What accounting software are you familiar with?
- What’s your process for reviewing a report for numerical errors?
- How do you step up to serve during regular tax audits?
- It’s time to prepare a department’s annual budget. What financial data and metrics do you use?
- The year-end closing is near. What reports and invoices do you gather and manage to support the accounting department?
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you stay up-to-date with changes in accounting legislation?
- Attention to detail is important in your role. When have you used it to save you from making a mistake?
- What’s the most challenging financial project you’ve managed so far? What were some things you had to overcome in order to achieve high-level results?
- What team management techniques did you use and how do you keep your team motivated?