Accountant qualifications to look for
Your ideal accountant will boast one to two years of practical accounting experience on their resume, plus an accounting certification.
If they are in the process of certifying, make sure to get verification. 😉
Once they prove they’re qualified, it’s time to ask interview questions that show they’ve got what it takes to make the team.
The goal is to find out whether their experience lines up with the needs of your company, and whether the candidate is coachable.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Experienced working with different types of entities
- Knowledgeable about accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Specialized in their roles
- Serious about their contribution to overall business goals
- Motivated and analytical
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions for Accountant roles
- Tell us about your strategy for keeping your work accurate.
- How have you handled tight deadlines?
- We know your work can be repetitive. So how do you stay motivated?
- In your last position, did you develop or improve an accounting system? If so, how did it help your company?
- What types of business models have you worked with before?
- What’s one way you’ve helped a previous company reduce costs? How did you approach your strategy?
- Have you ever set up an internal control system for processing invoices? How did you create this system?
- What experience do you have with accounts receivable and accounts payable?
- What is your favorite accounting software program? What others have you used?
- How important are accounting standards to you, and how do you keep up with regulation changes?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now