Financial Controller qualifications to look for
The Financial Controller ensures the long-term financial solvency of a company. They establish budgets, overseeing and regulating corporate funds and accounts, forecasts preparation, and the development of internal control policies and procedures.
Most corporate controllers have master’s degrees in accounting or business administration. They may also be certified public accountants (CPAs) or certified management accountants (CMAs), qualifying them to answer your toughest accounting questions.
Your next hire should have a strong track record of hiring and developing skills. Leadership skills are crucial due to the scarcity of skilled talent for finance positions.
In addition, candidates need great presentation and negotiation skills.
They should also be able to communicate financial information to non-finance employees, especially the management team.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Gifted strategic planners
- Clear communicators
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Financial Controller interview questions
- What do you consider first in budget development?
- Tell me about the most challenging financial project you’ve ever worked on.
- When did you identify a financial opportunity for your company?
- In what ways did you reduce expenses at previous companies?
- What are the financial strengths and weaknesses you see in the industry?
- How has your leadership helped your current team succeed?
- Tell me how you increased revenues in previous companies.
- When have you improved the quality of financial information or the efficiency of sharing financial information?
- Described the reports or presentations have you developed for executive teams.
- Tell me about your experience setting up accounting/financial reporting controls.
- Have you introduced new technology to your staff?
- What kind of accounting/financial reporting software do you use frequently?
- You need to hire financial staff. How do you find the best candidates?
- How have you mentored junior financial staff advance in their careers?
- Recall a time you had to motivate your team to complete a complex project.
- What strategies do you use to monitor and evaluate the performance of your team?
- Recall a time you had to present an important financial decision to your executive team.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now