Billing Specialist qualifications to look for
A Billing Specialist, or billing clerk, is an entry-level role. Most candidates are required to have a high school degree and knowledge of computer accounting programs. Those looking to grow in an accounting career will be working toward or already earned a bookkeeping certificate or associate’s degree in accounting.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Outstanding customer service skills
- A genuine desire to help customers
- A detail-oriented mindset
- The ability to exercise caution when handling sensitive information
Make it a point to find out what they hope to get out of their experience with your company, so you can vet candidates who are willing to grow within your billing and accounting department long-term.
These questions help you learn about relevant work experience, including:
- Computer skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of basic accounting
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you prioritize your work and stay organized day-to-day?
- Tell me about your experience using Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel.
- Are you familiar with billing and invoice software? If so, what software have you used?
- What invoice volume can you handle on a daily basis? How do you keep up with it?
- Have you ever had an invoice discrepancy with a client? How did you resolve it? If not, what would you do if it happened?
- Walk me through the financial transactions involved in the billing process. Have you had experience with these?
- What system do you use to keep track of incoming payments? How do you ensure that it is in compliance with financial procedures? How do you properly post and account for these payments?
- How do you collect invoices on time?
- Have you handled a hostile payment collection call? If so, what did you do? If not, how would you handle it?
- When have you gone above and beyond to deliver excellent customer service?
- How do you handle completing a project on a tight deadline?
- Have you ever faced an ethical dilemma at work? How did you respond?
- What skills do you have that are necessary for a billing specialist with our firm?
- How do you stay motivated doing repetitive work?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now