Bookkeeper qualifications to look for
Though certification isn’t required for this position, candidates with a professional certification show they are invested in their careers. These certifications will be from the National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers (NACPB) or the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers.
The interview process should reveal a candidate’s proficiency with important tasks like:
- Processing accounts payable and receivable
- Reconciling bank statements
- Checking your books for errors
- Keeping records in bookkeeping tools
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Excellent communicators
- Eager to learn
- Able to explain processes with ease
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- Why did you become a bookkeeper?
- How do you stay current on regulatory changes that impact on your work? What publications do you read?
- How do you continue to improve your skills as a bookkeeper?
- What types of financial reports are you comfortable preparing?
- Which bookkeeping systems are you familiar with? What are your favorite features?
- How proficiency are you with computer software like MS Excel?
- How do you check your work for accuracy?
- Walk me through the balance sheet equation.
- The ledger is off by $1.90. Walk me through your process to find the error.
- How would you record a payment using the accrual accounting method versus the cost accounting method?
- What is your process to prepare and process invoices?
- How have you contributed to cost savings in your department?
- Are you comfortable interacting with vendors and clients?
- What ethical dilemmas have you faced in your work? How did you handle the situation?
- How do you manage your time when asked to complete a complex project under a deadline?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now