Occupational Therapist qualifications to look for
Occupational therapists support and work with disabled, ill or injured patients with special equipment and the therapeutic use of daily activities. They help patients develop the skills needed for daily living as well as the skills required for work. They can work with patients for a short duration or provide long-term care.
Your top occupational therapy candidates will hold a graduate degree, proper licensing, and have hands-on experience with an internship. Typically candidates will have specific experience with the types of impairments or populations they wish to work with.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Strong communicators
- Invested in continuing education
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What are the critical skills of an occupational therapist? How do you feel your education prepares you for this occupation?
- How do you make a difference in people’s lives? What is your biggest reason for choosing this profession?
- How do you keep current with new techniques? Is there any recent development you find interesting?
- Have you ever worked with groups? Do you prefer groups or working with individuals?
- What do you need to consider to develop a treatment plan? Walk me through the process.
- What ADL evaluation tools are you familiar with? Explain.
Behavioral interview questions
- Tell me about a patient success story you are proud of.
- Recall a time you created an excellent rapport with a client’s family. What was the relationship like?
Problem-solving interview questions
- What is your process for interviewing a patient to gather necessary health information?
- If a patient has difficulty moving around the house, how do you approach prescribing equipment for them?
- How do you support a patient who is not cooperating during a therapy session?
- What is your response when a patient has difficulty communicating during a session?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now