Plumber qualifications to look for
Plumbers are big problem solvers. They typically install and repair plumbing systems in various types of properties, but may also install fixtures and domestic appliances associated with heating, cooling, and sanitation systems.
Your top plumbing hire will respect safety precautions, work well in teams and have strong problem-solving skills.
Your top electricians will have theoretical knowledge plus solid hands-on experience. Electricians have three levels of skill:
- Journeyman electrician
- Master electrician
Apprentices should be eager to learn and motivated to follow strict instructions. Master plumbers also need leadership skills and knowledge of regulations and processes.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Solid communication skills
- The ability to stay within budget
- A strong team-player mentality
- Skills specific to your project needs
- Strong negotiation skills
- The ability to travel and be out in the field
- Excellent time-management skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you prioritize time when working on multiple projects?
- What safety precaution measures do you take when installing or maintaining a plumbing system? How do you handle a situation that seems unsafe?
- What license do you have as a plumber? How long have you held them?
- Have you ever plumbed an office building? What about an older residence?
- Where would you start if you had to install a new system for an entire floor of a building?
- What do you observe before you design a plumbing system?
- Do you have any experience installing water-based heating systems? If so, explain.
- Walk us through the installation of an air-conditioning unit.
- What is usually the issue if a customer complains their house has too little water pressure?
- What do you do if you discover a rotted floor when installing a new toilet?
Role-specific interview questions
- How do you handle a plumbing problem that is taking longer to resolve than you initially quoted?
- How do you keep water pressure high when installing complex shower heads?
- What are the advantages of installing steel plumbing underneath a sink? What should you not do this?
- Walk me through how to snake clogged pipes.
- Do you prefer your water mains to be PVC or copper? Why?
- What’s an alternative to a conventional water heater?
Behavioral interview questions
- Describe a time you were given incomplete instructions about a project. How did you ask for clarification?
- When have you been asked out on an emergency call? How did you handle it?
- Recall a time you offered excellent customer service. What was the interaction you had with the customer?
- How do you respond to an impatient customer?
- Describe a time you had to work in a team to complete a project. How did your team work together?