Embedded Software Engineer qualifications to look for
Embedded Software Engineers build high-quality, fully functional embedded software systems, aligned with coding and design standards to meet company needs.
Hands-on experience with software engineering and coding techniques is a must for this position. Top hires should have a solid understanding of hardware management, OS system configuration and debugging code.
Include an assignment to help qualify your allstar hires.
Your standout candidates will have deep theoretical knowledge and be eager to learn and implement new technology developments.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- A strong desire to learn new things
- A solid interest to keep up with side projects
- Critical-thinking skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- Describe the differences between analytical and computational modeling. In what situation would you use either?
- Explain RISC architecture.
- Describe the differences between object-oriented and component-based design? When would you use either?
- When is it better to use multi-threading polling instead of a single threading model?
Role-specific interview questions
- What design software have you used and in what situations?
- What steps do you take to identify hardware errors?
- Walk me through how to optimize the I/O performance.
- Do you have experience with QA engineering? If so, explain.
- Walk me through how to reduce memory requirements in embedded systems.
- How do you debug a blank system?
- When would you choose Java in embedded systems? Is there an instance when it’s not the best solution?
- What software configuration management tools are you familiar with? Are there any you’re currently learning?
- What are some code testing tools?
- How do you troubleshoot embedded targets? Explain the process step-by-step.
- Explain your experience with technical documentation.
- You need to ensure that debugging a program will not affect its functionality. Walk me through how you do this.
Behavioral interview questions
- What role did you play in your last collaboration with designers and engineers to deploy a new product?
- What are some common errors you’ve found in embedded systems? What measures did you take to resolve them?
- How do you keep up with the latest technology trends? Do you read specific publications, or join forums?