Finance Clerk qualifications to look for
Finance Clerks take charge of basic financial transactions and perform administrative tasks. They also maintain billing records, calculate taxes and process receipts.
No degree required here, but your best candidate will be familiar with financial regulations, like Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and be a math wiz.
You may also want to consider testing their knowledge of MS Excel and/or Google Sheets.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Excellent multi-taskers
- Motivated with repetitive tasks
- Excellent with clients
- Strong communicators
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What information would you need to compile a report on accounts payable?
- How would you retrieve data when you are working with formulas you don’t recognize?
- How do you handle sensitive information, like when a coworker asks to see the expense reports of another department?
- What would you do if you realized you made a mistake on a report?
- You’re in the middle of a transaction and the system fails. What would you tell a customer who was waiting for the transaction to go through?
- You don’t understand the instructions your manager gave you for a process you were unfamiliar with. How do you handle it?
- You found a billing discrepancy. How do you resolve the issue?
Role-specific interview questions
- Walk me through your main duties as a Finance Clerk.
- What accounting software have you used? What is your favorite feature?
- How do you ensure records remain confidential?
- What is a bank reconciliation?
- What do you need to verify an invoice?
- How do you enter data accurately?
Behavioral interview questions
- You have to complete a project under a tight deadline. How do you organize your schedule to make sure you wouldn’t fall behind?
- How do you prioritize your work?
- How do you stay organized when dealing with repetitive tasks?
- How do you stay current with new financial regulations and laws?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now