Financial Advisor qualifications to look for
Financial advisors help clients navigate investments and cash management by developing financial plans to help generate profit and protect assets.
Focus on candidates who have previous experience in financial management positions and who are also knowledgeable about your industry.
Typically, top candidates will hold a degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics. They may also have additional qualifications, like Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Critical thinkers
- Able to present large amounts of financial data
- Attentive to detail
Top tip: Look for candidates whose career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- You are asked to deliver a presentation on a new financial plan to senior managers. What visual aids would you use to support your plan and why?
- Walk me through how you ensure management understands the risks of making an investment you would advise against?
- We are planning to expand in the next two years. How would you support the project?
- How would you help your team embrace new processes you plan to implement?
Role-specific interview questions
- When meeting a new client, what are the first questions you ask your team before your initial interaction?
- Walk me through your previous client portfolio.
- How would you assess our current financial status?
- Accuracy is crucial in your role. What is your process for ensuring accuracy with every project?
- What methods would you use to evaluate our company’s performance?
- Explain if a cash flow statement is enough to tell whether a company is profitable.
- What financial management software do you have experience working with? What are your favorite features?
- What do you feel are the biggest untapped markets? What financial regulations do you find most challenging in our industry?
Behavioral interview questions
- What resources do you use to stay current with changes to tax and investment regulations?
- Has your advice to senior managers resulted in higher revenues? Tell us about it.
- When have you used your analytical skills to explain the risks of a potential investment? How did they help the outcome?
- If you made a bad financial decision, how would you resolve it?
- Are you comfortable giving presentations or preparing written reports? Why?