Health Unit Coordinator qualifications to look for
Health unit coordinators (HUCs) play a dual role in serving patients in the front off and supporting staff with clerical needs.
Your top HUC will graduate from 6-month training programs with a certification. Some candidates may be in progress to become registered nurses. You may take this into consideration if you need someone to stick around for a long time.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location and job description.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Strong communicators
- Good with people
- Good with stress management
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What does excellent customer service mean for an HUC? How do you ensure you meet these standards?
- What are the most important qualities a HUC must possess? How do you feel you fit those qualities?
- Why do you want to work at our facility?
- Why do you think a HUC is important for a healthcare facility? What major duties do they fulfill?
- What details are important when compiling medical records?
- Have you used a CDSS (clinical decision support system) before? If so, explain what it is and how it works.
- Are you a proficient typist?
Behavioral interview questions
- Give an example of a time you felt a sense of fulfillment as part of your job. What happened and how did it help you grow?
- How did you manage a hectic office without losing your patience?
- How did you handle conflict in the office?
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you juggle requests from a physician with a busy waiting room?
- How do you handle patients who want to schedule appointments when no visits are available?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now