Medical Sales Representative qualifications to look for
Medical Sales Representatives promote and sell medical-related products on behalf of a company to healthcare professionals (e.g. hospitals, clinics, and doctors’ practices).
Your top hires will be driven to build long-term relationships with clients and have a dynamic personality that makes it easy for them to talk to people. They should also have a strong working knowledge of the products you sell, or an eagerness to learn about them.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Strong communicators
- Good with people
- Experienced with sales
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- This position requires visiting different clinics daily. How would you stay motivated while pitching products to multiple businesses? How do you feel about being on the road frequently?
- Walk me through how you approach a new client you’re assigned. What is the process of getting to know them?
- How often do you communicate with existing clients? What tools do you use to stay organized and keep track of when you need to contact clients?
- When do you stop pursuing a client? What do you look for when deciding if it’s worth your time?
- Do you have a lot of flexibility in your schedule?
Behavioral interview questions
- What’s your greatest professional success so far? How did it help you grow?
- Do you have experience selling medical products? If so explain. If not, tell me about your sales experience overall.
- Do you prefer to work in a team or on your own? Are you good at staying motivated when you’re out in the field all day?
- Have you had negative experiences dealing with clients? What happened and how did you resolve the issue
- Have you ever failed to reach a sales quota? What was the outcome? How did your supervisor respond? What did you learn from the experience?
Problem-solving interview questions
- What do you want to know about a new medical product we are launching in order to pitch it to customers?
- Describe who you feel is our ideal client. What would you suggest to increase our market share?
- How would you convince a potential customer to switch to our product if they are using a competitor’s product?
- How do you assess and fill your schedule if a potential customer cancels your appointment on short notice?