Java Developer qualifications to look for
Java Developers are computer programmers proficient with coding in Java. They design and implement Java applications, developing and testing software and resolving technical issues that arise.
Junior positions may require a degree in Engineering/Computer Science along with a relevant internship. For a senior-level role, top hires will have solid experience in the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC.), along with relevant education requirements.
Use a written assignment to test candidates’ coding skills.
Keep an eye out for candidates who:
- Are passionate about their field
- Love working on side projects
- Keep up current with the latest tools
- Take initiative to contribute fresh ideas
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Java Developer interview questions
- What are the characteristics of an ACID database system?
- Is Java a statically or dynamically typed language? Explain the difference.
- Explain how you tell if a linked list has a cycle in it, such that one of the nodes in the linked list points to a previous node in the list.
- What is polymorphism, inheritance and encapsulation?
- Explain if arguments in Java get passed by reference or by value?
- What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface? When would you use one over the other?
- When would you use an object Factory? How would you implement the Singleton pattern?
- Explain the difference between “==” and equals(…) method. What is the difference between shallow comparison and deep comparison of objects?
- Describe a use case for Servlets 3.0 that introduced async support.
- Why are lambda expressions a big thing in Java 8?
- What’s the relationship between Java EE and Java SE?
- What’s the difference between Runtime exceptions and Checked exceptions?
- Explain the difference between HashMap, ConcurrentHashMap and a Map returned by Collections.synchronizedMap.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now