Leasing Consultant qualifications to look for
Leasing Consultants specialize in rental property. They interact with tenants on behalf of landlords and property management companies by assisting potential and existing tenants with property previews, lease terms and prices, rental applications, and lease negotiation and renewal.
Your top leasing consultant may or may not hold a degree, but they should be a customer-service driven professional. Those with sales or real estate experience may fall into your top candidate categories because they know the industry and how to work with people.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong negotiation and sales skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What’s the process for verifying a tenant’s application?
- What are the most effective ways to promote properties on social media? What other advertising techniques do you use?
- How do you evaluate a potential tenant’s requirements? What questions would you ask the property owner?
- How do you handle questions from potential tenants that you don’t know the answer to?
- What is your role in an emergency disaster on a property you’re handling?
Role-specific interview questions
- Why do you make you a great salesperson?
- Why is customer service important for a leasing consultant?
- How do you use technology to organize your work? Do you use specific apps or software?
- What kind of lodges/properties have you dealt with in the past? How about the clientele you’ve worked with?
- How do you manage priorities when working with multiple deadlines?
- How do you keep up with trends in real estate? Do you follow certain resources or publications?
Behavioral interview questions
- Have you ever had a difficult tenant to work with? Why was it difficult and how did you resolve it?
- How do you handle a tenant lease renewal? What do you do if they want to move out, but you’d like to keep them as a long term tenant?
- Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical problem. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?
- Have you had to mediate a dispute between a property owner and their tenant? What was your role and how did you help the situation?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now