Technical Support Engineer qualifications to look for
Technical Support Engineers are the backup team that manages customers’ issues when your first-level (non-technical) support can’t find a solution.
Your next top hire will have a solid technical background, software development skills, and the knack to solve tricky computer science-related problems.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Effective problem-solving skills
- The drive to take ownership of problems
- A natural curiosity about the way tech works
- The ability to explain technical issues to non-tech people
It’s a good idea to test your candidates’ skills to better evaluate how they would handle their role in your company.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What kind of customers do you typically work with?
- Tell me what you know about our products. What do you think are our most common customer queries?
- How do you support a customer who claims their website is loading too slowly?
- Walk me through how to access the Recovery Control in Windows.
- What help desk tools do you recommend to facilitate client communication?
- What got you into this line of work?
- Are you familiar with ERP software? Can you explain what it is?
- Explain the main functions of BIAS.
- What remote desktop tools have you used? What features do you think it needs?
- When do you know your job is complete when resolving a customer problem?
- Walk me through the procedure for installing antivirus software?
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you handle a customer who is angry and blaming you for someone else’s mistake?
- How do you handle a customer issue you’ve never heard of before?
- How do you keep current with technology trends?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now