Painter qualifications to look for
Painters take on many projects or specialize in certain areas. Their job is to paint various surfaces, and they usually acquire skills by completing an apprenticeship.
Your next apprentice should have soft skills that translate well to the job, including strong communication skills and an eagerness to learn.
More experienced painters should have a broad knowledge of material, tools, and techniques as well as experience in different settings (e.g. construction sites vs. residences).
Supervisors need strong leadership and coaching skills. Any hire should have strict standards for safety and a strong work ethic.
📌Don’t forget: Check local legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you prepare a home with lead paint?
- How do you decide on the number of coats needed? How do you test colors?
- How do you prepare a painting job when you arrive?
- If there are occupants in a space you are going to paint, how do you ask them to prepare?
- When should you use an airless spray gun instead of a brush?
- What are lap marks and how do you prevent them?
- How do you respond to a client who changes their mind about the color halfway through a job?
Role-specific interview questions
- How long have you been working as a painter? What got you started in the business?
- What brand of paint do you use most often?
- Are you familiar with PDCA standards? Can you explain what they are?
- How do you maintain attention to detail when you have multiple jobs booked out?
- What do you use paint extender for? Is there a time where you shouldn’t use this?
- Are you comfortable with heights? Do you have any issues climbing ladders?
- What safety equipment is necessary for a painter? Do you always have it with you?
Behavioral interview questions
- When have you received excellent feedback for your work?
- Recall a time you provided excellent coaching to a coworker. How did it benefit the job?
- Have you ever fallen behind schedule? How did you handle it?
- Have you ever not followed instructions? If so, what was the outcome? What did you learn?
- How have you handled conflict with a co-worker?