Payroll Manager interview questions
Your ideal candidate will be qualified (think: HR/Accounting degree), experienced and organized with an awesome attention to detail. They’ll handle sensitive info with confidentiality, stay calm in any situation and be up-to-date with the latest labor law changes.
Top tip: Diversity is key for a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Problem solving interview questions
- How would you deal with a payroll complaint?
- If you accidentally underpaid an employee, would you compensate the difference ASAP or add it to next month’s payroll?
- How would you forecast for next year’s payroll expenses?
- What would you do if an employee claimed a coworker in the same role had a higher salary?
- How would you explain the payroll process to your team?
- If you identified a departmental gender pay gap, would you notify HR? Why?
Role-specific interview questions
- What payroll software do you use?
- Are you familiar with any HRIS systems?
- How do you ensure accuracy in the payroll?
- What’s the best way to timekeep for shift workers?
- What’s included in local taxes withholdings?
- What’s the overtime pay rate for nonexempt employees according to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)?
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you cope with tight deadlines?
- How do you keep up-to-date with new labor regulations?
- Have you ever introduced a new system to help streamline payroll?
- How do you explain financial and insurance details in simple terms?