Ruby Developer qualifications to look for
A Ruby developer builds anything from the backend of a web application to command line utilities using Ruby language.
Your top Ruby developer can develop backend components, connect the application to other third-party web services, and support the front-end developers by integrating their work with the Ruby application.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Excellent communication skills
- Team-playing attitude
- The drive to constantly learn
- An understanding of basic algorithmic concepts
- A wide understanding of databases
Though a degree seems attractive, this position is more about how voracious a learner your Ruby Developer is.
Your best candidates will participate in hackathons, be active in tech forums, and have a strong interest in learning the latest technologies.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Ruby Developer interview questions
- Explain whether arguments in Ruby get passed by reference or by value.
- Explain if Ruby is a statically or dynamically typed language.
- Using a pseudo-code, reverse a String iteratively and recursively.
- Describe what makes a good unit test. What makes a functional one?
- What is the difference between polymorphism, inheritance, and encapsulation?
- Describe the tools and processes you use for linting, debugging and profiling.
- What are three levels of method access control for classes and modules? What do they imply about the method?
- Explain in simple terms Lambda expression forms a closure.
- Explain the use of load and require in Ruby.
- Write a module Foo that when included, adds an instance method :bar and a class method qux.
- Describe a use case for duck typing.
- Explain the difference between a block different and a Proc.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now