Senior Accountant qualifications to look for
Your Senior Accountant and accounting manager candidates should know the ins and out of high-level accounting processes like budget preparation and financial forecasting.
Experience is high up on the list of qualifications, and they should feel comfortable explaining financial data to non-financial staff, especially senior executives.
Your best hire will keep current with accounting and auditing standards.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Strategic and analytical leaders
- Strong leaders
The right candidate will be thrilled to coordinate complex projects involving data collection, data analysis, quality control and planning future work.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- Walk me through your budget preparation process.
- Describe financial forecasting and projections.
- How do you stay current on accounting and auditing standards? What publications do you read?
- How do you keep track of the work your team is tasked to do?
- How do you monitor your team’s performance and help them set goals?
- How do you direct internal and external audits?
- How do you present financial data to non-financial staff?
- Describe a time you helped senior leadership to make a decision based on financial data. What was the outcome?
- How do you explain complicated processes to staff members who have no financial background?
- Describe a time you were dissatisfied with an accounting process. What did you do to improve it?
- Have you executed a complicated financial project on a tight deadline? How did you coordinate your team in collecting and analyzing data? How did you ensure accuracy?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now