Senior Accountant qualifications to look for
Your Senior Accountant and accounting manager candidates should know the ins and out of high-level accounting processes like budget preparation and financial forecasting.
Experience is high up on the list of qualifications, and they should feel comfortable explaining financial data to non-financial staff, especially senior executives.
Your best hire will keep current with accounting and auditing standards.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Strategic and analytical leaders
- Strong leaders
The right candidate will be thrilled to coordinate complex projects involving data collection, data analysis, quality control and planning future work.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- Walk me through your budget preparation process.
- Describe financial forecasting and projections.
- How do you stay current on accounting and auditing standards? What publications do you read?
- How do you keep track of the work your team is tasked to do?
- How do you monitor your team’s performance and help them set goals?
- How do you direct internal and external audits?
- How do you present financial data to non-financial staff?
- Describe a time you helped senior leadership to make a decision based on financial data. What was the outcome?
- How do you explain complicated processes to staff members who have no financial background?
- Describe a time you were dissatisfied with an accounting process. What did you do to improve it?
- Have you executed a complicated financial project on a tight deadline? How did you coordinate your team in collecting and analyzing data? How did you ensure accuracy?