Senior Python Developer Interview Questions
A Python Web Developer writes server-side web application logic using either Python 2 and Python 3 languages. A solid Python developer can easily adapt to the differences between the two.
Your top Senior Python Developer has ample experience developing back-end components, connecting the application to other third-party web services and supporting the front-end developers by integrating their work with the Python application.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Excellent communication skills
- A team-playing attitude
- The drive to constantly learn
- An understanding of basic algorithmic concepts
- A wide understanding of databases
Though a degree seems attractive, this position is more about how voracious a learner your Python Developer is.
Your best candidates will participate in hackathons, be active in tech forums and have a strong interest in learning the latest technologies.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- Describe the tools and processes you use for linting, debugging and profiling.
- Explain whether arguments in Python get passed by reference or by value.
- Explain how memory is managed in Python.
- Are functions considered first-class objects in Python? If so, explain why.
- Describe what makes a good unit test. What makes a functional one?
- What are the core principles of a REST API and RPC?
- Does Python use real threads if it uses a Global Interpreter Lock?
- Give an example of a filter and reduce over an iterable object.
- Define list and dict comprehensions.
- Explain in simple terms Lambda expression forms a closure?
- What are the key differences between Python 2.x and 3.x?
- Can you have a producer thread reading from the network and a consumer thread writing to a file, really work in parallel? What about the GIL?
- Implement a binary search of a sorted array of integers Using pseudo-code.