Senior Ruby Developer qualifications to look for
A Ruby developer builds anything from the backend of a web application to command-line utilities using Ruby language.
Your top Senior Ruby Developer has extensive experience developing back-end components, connecting the application to other third-party web services, and supporting the front-end developers by integrating their work with the Ruby application.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Excellent communication skills
- A team-playing attitude
- The drive to constantly learn
- An understanding of basic algorithmic concepts
- A wide understanding of databases
Though a degree seems attractive, this position is more about how voracious a learner your Senior Ruby Developer is.
Your best candidates will participate in hackathons, be active in tech forums, and have a strong interest in learning the latest technologies.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- When is the best time to set up its test infrastructure in a project’s lifecycle?
- What are you looking for in a regression test suite?
- Explain whether arguments in Ruby get passed by reference or by value.
- Describe the tools and processes you use for linting, debugging and profiling.
- If Ruby MRI uses a Global Interpreter Lock. Does this mean it uses real threads?
- Using pseudo-code, reverse a String iteratively and recursively
- Is it possible to have a producer thread reading from the network and a consumer thread writing to a file, really work in parallel? What about the GIL?
- Describe how the generational garbage collection introduced in Ruby 2.1 works. How was it an improvement over the last version?
- Write a single line of Ruby code that prints the Fibonacci sequence of any length as an array.
- Describe what makes a good unit test. What makes a functional one?
- What are the core principles of a REST API and RPC?
- Explain in simple terms Lambda expression forms a closure.
- Explain the difference between a block different and a Proc.
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now