System Analyst qualifications to look for
System Analysts take charge of IT systems by ensuring high levels of performance and security. They will improve the overall efficiency of your systems by gathering user requirements, performing tests and designing software solutions.
Top hires should understand the full software development lifecycle while having the skills to integrate new and legacy systems. During your interview process, ask candidates questions about scripts and automation software that you use. If necessary, give candidates the chances to showcase their problem-solving skills with written assignments.
Software documentation is an important job duty of the System Analyst. Keep an eye out for candidates who can explain technical terms in simple language. These individuals also work closely with other teams that include System Engineers and Product Managers. Focus on candidates who understand design, budget and deadline requirements.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Excellent troubleshooting-skills
- The ability to explain technical issues to non-techies
- Strong knowledge of IT systems best practices
- Drive to meet deadlines and stay within budget
It’s a good idea to test your candidates’ skills to better evaluate how they would handle their role in your company.
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- How do you communicate the deployment date of a new program to those who may see things differently?
- How do you handle frequent changes in user requirements?
- How do you get a doubtful manager on board with your suggestions?
Role-specific interview questions
- What is the step-by-step process of analyzing an existing system?
- Explain the difference between technical and functional requirements. What’s the process of gathering each?
- What SAP software applications are you familiar with?
- Explain a DHCP server. How is it used?
- Tell me how you explain user scenarios in a technical document.
- Explain how to perform a software audit on a PC or Mac.
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you explain technical details to a non-technical audience when delivering a presentation?
- Tell me how you would implement a cost-reducing system.
- Tell me about your experience designing a new system with limited resources.
- What was the last tough project you worked on? What was your role and who did you collaborate with?